Sunday, October 21, 2012

All Shook Down

You ever have one of those times where you screw something up despite your best intentions? You know you're screwing up while you're screwing up, but the dominoes continue to fall.

That, in a nutshell was my Level Three audition.  The "Dear John" e-mail I received at 1:30 a.m. was a mere formality: try again in two months.

At least I knew I had screwed up and why, so the result wasn't a shock.  Only 36 people get accepted out of the approximately 75 people who audition.  Several of my friends didn't make it on Friday.  Several male friends.  One of us posted the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer segment with the land of misfit toys.  We may form our own troupe: The Land of Misfit Boys.  Well, congrats to my friends who made it through.

Anyhow, a look behind the curtain: introduce yourself, do a three person scene, and then do montage.
It's over very quickly.

The three person scenes have you lined up alphabetically with your class members.  So, in class it may have been wise to have sought out more scenes with the two people immediately after me in the alphabet to familiarize myself with these actors.  Oops. Montage was done one of two ways: one class did sweep edits and had call backs in their montage.  Our class and one of the other classes did walk-out edits with no call backs.  The montage in our class devolved into a series of five person scenes.  Five-person scenes are very cluster-fucky in a montage.  It wasn't as bad as freeze tag during the initial audition, but that's not saying much.

You can also get your notes after the audition to find out what you need to work on.  Me? My characters did not have enough detail, and I did not have enough emotional range during my audition.  Fair enough, and I'm not surprised.  I would've probably used the word "insipid" if I were to give myself notes. But, I digress, lest this become a pity-wank.

So, yours truly will be planning his next improv steps and looking forward to giving this another try in two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment